Augusta Technical College recognizes that advising is an integral part of the student’s college education. Academic Advising is the process of helping students match the College's resources to their needs and goals so that they get the maximum benefit from their college experience and, at graduation, are prepared for life after college. An essential goal of the advising process is for students to gain self-understanding that will assist the student in making informative decisions regarding academic, career, and life goals.
Based on program of study, every student at Augusta Technical College is assigned a Program Advisor. Program Advisors are instructors who teach within the same field of interest as the student's program of study. Program advisors are able to not only guide students through increasing knowledge and developing skill in their respective academic disciplines; but also hold unique positions in which they are able to guide students in developing overall educational and career plans. In addition to Program Advisors, Academic Advisors and Navigators assist students with getting started and navigating the college process.
Advisement of New Students
New Students are advised by an Academic Advisor in the Division of Student Affairs. New students will meet with an Advisor after being accepted to the college. The Academic Advisor will assist in reviewing test score results, transfer credit evaluated by the Registrar’s Office, develop a first semester schedule, and assist with registering the student for classes.
Advisement of Currently Enrolled Students
Students currently enrolled at Augusta Tech are advised by Program Advisors based on their program of study. To find your Program Advisor’s contact information please visit the Faculty/Staff Directory or view the Program Advisor List.
Ask an Academic Advisor
- Initiate contact with your advisor during his/her office hours by telephone or e-mail.
- Arrive at appointments on time (with your cell phone turned off) and cancel appointments if you cannot attend the meeting as scheduled.
- Talk to your advisor if you are concerned about any aspect of your college experience.
- Discuss important decisions or questions about your education (e.g., choice of major, change of major, transferring) well before the registration period.
- Come prepared for appointments. Review your degree requirements, prepare a tentative schedule to discuss, and make sure all registration holds are lifted (e.g., parking tickets paid, library fines paid) prior to registration.
- Follow through on referrals made by your advisor (e.g. Success Center).
- After talking to your advisor self-register for the classes you discussed.
- Availability during office hours and the opportunity for individual appointments.
- Assistance in helping you to find academic information, including information on a program of study, general education requirements, and other academic policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Referrals to appropriate people and offices if your advisor cannot provide the necessary assistance.
- A meeting to discuss grades and recommendations for academic improvement, if appropriate.
- A meeting each semester before the registration period to help with course selection and academic planning to approve your academic schedule for the next term.
- Assistance in understanding the purposes of academic requirements and their relationship to your program of study and career plan.
- Assistance in helping you learn how to make academic decisions, how to discover the range of options available to you, and how to think through the consequences of choices.
Please Note: Academic Advisors will make suggestions and recommendations on how a student may achieve the goals he/she has set, however, it is the ultimate responsibility of the student to meet the requirements of their chosen program.
For information on Augusta Technical College’s academic policies, please visit the College Catalog.