Admissions & Registration
Transfer Student FAQs
A grade of "C" or higher must be earned for courses to be transferred. A grade of "TRA", "TRB", or "TRC" will be entered on the permanent record.
No. Transfer credit can only be awarded from official transcripts from the original institution. Faxed transcripts are NOT accepted.
Core classes (i.e., English, Math, Psychology, etc...) have no age limitation. Certain occupational courses older than five years may be evaluated by the program department for applicable transfer credit.
In most cases, transcripts are evaluated within five to seven working days after receipt by the Registrar. Course descriptions may be requested to determine transferability.
A student may receive credit for a course by passing the college exemption exam (generally administered during the week of final exams) only if the student has neither attempted nor failed the course(s) or equivalent course(s) at Augusta Technical College.
Students desiring credit by exemption examination must:
- Be regularly accepted or enrolled in non-learning support courses at Augusta Technical College.
- Complete the Credit by Exemption Examination application (available in the Academic Dean's office) and receive Academic Dean's approval.
- Take the application to the appropriate program Dean for approval.
- Take the completed application to Student Accounts (Augusta campus) or Student Services (Waynesboro and Thomson campuses or Columbia County Center) and pay the required exemption exam fee for each course to be challenged (the current exemption exam fee is $50).
- Take the application to the person responsible for administering the exemption exam.
- Earn a minimum score of 75 percent (required to pass an exemption examination). Qualified students are allowed one exemption exam attempt per course.
Note: Not all courses offer an exemption examination.
Yes. Credit may be awarded for education/training experiences in the Armed Services. Please visit https://jst.doded.mil/smart/welcome.do for more information on obtaining college credit for military training. Students may contact Student Records at firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional help or information regarding military credit.
Applicants with appropriate work experience or other relevant background may request consideration to earn credit by exemption examination. Additionally, students who have received certifications from Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST), Georgia Fire Academy, or National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (NPQ) may receive exemption credit upon evaluation by the respective program departments.
Yes. Credit may be awarded based upon translation and an evaluation performed by an independent service.
9. Why do I need to request all transcripts if I will not get, or do not want, credit from one of my previous colleges?
Students applying for competitive program (Nursing, Cardiovascular, Echocardiography, Occupational Therapy, Practical Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care, Sonography, Surgical Technology, and Vascular Technology) ranking may not choose to omit coursework from other colleges, and ALL official, sealed college transcripts are required for admissions. College transcripts may also be required in some financial aid situations.
10. I received HOPE Scholarship at my previous college or university. Will my HOPE Scholarship award transfer to Augusta Technical College?
HOPE Scholarship awards do not transfer from school to school. In order to receive HOPE Scholarship as a transfer student, you will need to request a HOPE Scholarship evaluation by completing the HOPE Scholarship Evaluation Form to ensure that you still meet the minimum GPA requirements.