DISTANCE EDUCATION - ABOUT US
Our Department: Augusta Tech has been offering Distance Education courses since 1999. Our students have access to
- Accredited programs, including some that are fully online
- 24/7 lesson availability
- Innovative and engaging course content
Most web-enhanced, hybrid, and online classes use Blackboard. Students will have access to their courses in Blackboard on the first day of the semester. Courses will not appear before the semester begins.
Important Policy Notes for Students
- All online courses require presentation of a picture ID for access to proctored events. Students must attend proctored events to remain enrolled in courses.
- Students are not allowed to give their Blackboard user names or passwords to anyone
- Students may be administratively withdrawn from online courses for failure to submit assignments for 7 consecutive days.
The Distance Education Staff
Office 1225, Building 1000
Dean, Cyber and Digital Education
Tammy O’Brien is the Dean of Cyber and Digital Education. She has been with Augusta Technical College since 1994, working in the Allied Health field before becoming the Associate Dean of Distance Education. She now oversees the Cyber and Digital Education, to include the Cybersecurity program as well as Distance Education and Library Services for all locations.
Director of Distance Education
Cameron Bentley assists students and faculty with using Blackboard. She can help students access Blackboard and navigate Distance Education classes. She works with faculty to train in Blackboard, keep up to date with Blackboard features, and participate in professional development opportunities.
Instructional Design Specialist
Mark Lariscy is the Instructional Design Specialist for the Distance Education Department at Augusta Technical College. Mark worked as a software developer in industry before moving into the field of Education. Mark has a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a Master of Business Administration. He also holds certifications in instructional design, e-learning, and the evaluation of training. He was instrumental in the development of Badge Training, the required orientation for all on-line students at Augusta Technical College.
Distance Education Coordinator
Ashley Strong-Green focuses on helping faculty with learn how to use Blackboard and other educational technologies. Prior to joining the Distance Education office, she taught English and Humanities. She develops trainings on a variety of technologies, learning, and the scholarship of teaching and learning. She has a B.A. in English, M.A. in Literary and Cultural Studies, and a Ph.D. in Higher Education Leadership.
Notable Faculty and Staff Partners
Advanced Distance Education Instructors
- Cameron Bentley, English
- Cindy David, Department Chair, Biology and Physics
- Mark Lariscy, Computer Information Systems
- Suzette Rynier, Psychology
- Tammy Thomas, English
- Vicki Vandervelde, Department Head, Accounting
- Paul Visintainer, Department Chair, Math
Elite Badge Team
These Augusta Tech employees have helped many of our students earn the Badge. If you have questions about the Badge, contact the Distance Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-771-4860, or ask one of these Elite Badge Team members:
- Christine Ball, Director, Enrollment Services
- Migdaliz Berrios, Academic Navigator
- Jan Blackburn, High School Coordinator
- Melissa Burch, Academic Navigator
- Shannon Burnside, Instructor, Medical Assisting
- Rodithia Carr, Dept. Head, Early Childhood Care/Education
- Shanise Greene, Academic Navigator
- Angela Hakeem-Mulkey, Dept. Head, Cosmetology
- Alyssa Harris, High School Coordinator/Recruitment Specialist
- Monica Jones, Admissions Assistant
- Penny Lowe, Coordinator, Thomson Campus
- Patrick McCormack, Dept. Head, Business Management
- Warren Miller, Instructor, Mathematics
- Jim Poarch, Dept. Head, Cybersecurity
- Patrick Riley, Dept. Head, Networking Specialist
- James Scogin, Instructor, Mathematics
- Joseph Sepielli, Dept. Head, Computer Programming
- Mikel Smalls, Welding
- Darryl Smith, Dept. Head, Electrical Systems Technology
- Anna Stewart, Dept. Head, Barbering
- Ebony Story, Instructor, Practical Nursing
- Ashley Strong-Green, Instructor, English, Humanities
- Denise Walker, Instructor, Business Technology
- Linda Walker, Instructor, Cosmetology
- Karon Walton, Dept. Head, Medical Assisting
- Kevin Ward, Dept. Head, Marketing Management
- Quentin White, High School Coordinator/Recruitment Specialist